Saturday, October 4, 2008

Learning to Live Loved

I attended a fundraising dinner for a ministry here in Vero called Crosslife tonight. The speaker, Steve Pettit. He was engaging and listening to him felt like drinking from a firehose. Despite my notes, which are lengthy, I'm sure I'll do a poor job trying to sum up his message here.

So much of our focus on religion is how much we can worship God, prove to him our goodness or obedience, try to make ourselves worthy of the sacrifice Jesus made for our lives. I know we don't HAVE to, but I think believers do this, knowing full well that we don't deserve the unmerited grace God has given us through His plan. Truly we love God and want Him to know the depth of our gratitude.

Having said that, I wonder how often any of us have thought about how much God loves us? Obviously he much have loved us dearly to coordinate such a plan, foreshadowing the message as early in the Bible as Abraham, who was asked to slay his long-awaited son Isaiac to prove his trust in God... which remarkably Abraham was willing to do! The Old Testament lays the foundation of law, revealing sin in our lives, and the ultimate need for a sacrifice to reconcile man with God. And the New Testament reveals the prophecy of the old, The love of Christ, his ultimate gift and the best thing you can do as a believer is 1)Love God with all your heart and 2)Love others as yourselves.

Truly the message of Christ is powerful. It is a message of love. But do you REALIZE just how much God loves YOU? And do you realize that everyone else is a "being loved" child of God too?

All of us were born with something lost, and we spend our lives trying to fill it. "The Goods" (career, family, stuff) never quite reach the need, leaving us all still searching for our purpose in life. Have you found yours? I submit to you it isn't a purpose you seek, but an acceptance. You want to be loved. And no can love you my friend - NO ONE can love you like God can. Everyone else can and will disappoint you, but His love is perfect. He wrote the book on love and you are unbelievably dear to Him. Look no further, God wants to cradle you, he wants to love you, he wants to sing over you.

Give Him the chance to show you why you were created. Will you pray to Him today?

1 comment:

Dawn Allison said...

Hey Pam!
Love your blog, I just discovered it today. We really do see eye to eye on this issue. I do wish we could talk more because we would have a lot to talk about. I haven't found my life purpose yet, but I am working on it. I've asked God and he will let me know. It's been hard for me to find a church because the issues that are focused on actually distract me from my walk with God. I'm reading my bible and learning how to meditate because I believe we are to look within for answers.
Hopefully I'll talk to you soon!